The 2012 NBA training camp experience has begun, preseason games start in a couple of days, and the NBA is alive and well in October (in contrast to last year when the lockout had forced a dead and sickly designation). As is evident from my week 4 NFL picks (ouch, although some I can defend), the Association is my first, second, and fourth major professional sport jam (the third: THE CHALLENGE as you may have surmised from my weekly treatises).
So what’s been shaking? Let’s kick it…
• Marc Stein released his first preseason power rankings this week and has the Celtics 6th behind the revamped Clippers. Besides this tough moment for Marc Stein, he does an admirable job, especially acknowledging the Bobcats as the 58th of 30 professional teams (I kid).
• Dwight Howard wants to play in the Lakers opener ahead of schedule, Andrew Bynum has to sit for a few weeks in Philly, Chauncey and Avery may be a while, Janeero Pargo is back (!!!!) in the league because John Wall is out, and Vince Carter may be injured.
• Paul Pierce has a beautiful view from his hotel room in Istanbul.
• Darko is going to be so much fun…
• The talk out of the Celtics camp is phenomenal. Doc is bringing back ubuntu, Rondo thinks this Celtics team is more talented than 2008, Pierce wants to remain a Celtic well beyond his playing career, and KG lost Ray’s phone number and is taking the bigs under his wing. Can you feel it???? Oh yeah…
• Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com did an amazing job with this piece on the retired Keyon Dooling. It is a must read.
• Ricky Rubio has an unexpected reason for appreciating a Michael Beasley-less locker room in Minnesota this season.
• This pretty much sums up why Rajon Rondo is my favorite player in a generation.
And finally, set your dvrs so you don’t miss the first Celtics preseason game of their European trip on NBA TV at 2:00 PM on Friday!